For Families of Addicts
Some families and significant others don’t experience relief until an addict is safely in detox or a residential addiction treatment program. This may be the first time in many months or years that they are able to get a good night’s rest. After this, family members may want to know what the addict is working on in drug rehab and handle any unresolved issues they have with the addict. Lakeview Health offers a family component to addiction treatment that allows healing for the family to begin.
Family Therapy in Drug Rehab
To ensure the continued health of all of the addict's family members and significant others and keep them involved with treatment, we provide weekly phone or onsite sessions with the therapist. Family members and significant others who are directly involved with the addict are offered to participate in these sessions.
The family therapy sessions will:
- Provide updates on a patient’s progress
- Continue to educate the family about addiction and its impact on the family
- Introduce new communication skills between family members
- Establish appropriate boundaries
- Rebuild a healthy family system
- Reinforce the crucial reality that change must come from all members of the family, not just one
The addict’s immediate family members or significant others can participate in Lakeview Health’ onsite family program.
Four-Day Family Addiction Therapy Workshop
Addiction is a family disease. Research has repeatedly demonstrated that the addiction of one member of the family has a profound impact upon every other member. So profound is this dynamic that not only does the person suffering from drug and alcohol abuse become dysfunctional, but the family dealing with the addiction suffers as well. Family members adjust how they interact with the addict or alcoholic, neglecting their own personal needs and sometimes enabling the addiction.
Lakeview Health is aware of the importance of treating the whole person suffering from drug and alcohol addiction. To do that, it is imperative that the family participate, whenever possible, in the addict’s treatment. We have developed a four-day workshop which is included in the addict’s addiction treatment program (transportation and accommodations are not included). Issues associated with addiction and the family are addressed to begin immediate healing within the family unit.
As with our inpatient detox and residential rehab programs, our family therapy program is based entirely upon the best evidence-based practices available.
Lakeview Health's family addiction therapy component offers:
- Answers to questions and education for the family about the disease of addiction
- Family counseling with the addict’s therapist
- Family relapse prevention plan to end enabling behaviors
- Increased healthy support for the addict
- Support for family members who have been directly affected by the addiction
- Signed contract between the addict and the family, reinforcing their commitment to recovery
- Development of an aftercare plan for the addict and family
During the family workshop, there are various sessions throughout the day and each session has a specific topic and learning component. There ssesions include lectures, question and answers, intensive therapy groups, discussions, observations, and more.
Lakeview Health is invested in repairing family relationships and our staff is handpicked to ensure the best quality of care while you are in addiction treatment.