LGBT Addiction Treatment & Recovery
According to a 2013 Pew Research study, 9 of 10 LGBT people surveyed felt they have become more accepted in the past decade, and just as many say they expect that to increase in the coming decade. Despite this positive shift, fewer than 6 in 10 have told their mothers about their sexual orientation or gender identity and fewer than 4 in 10 have told their fathers.
A feeling of acceptance and safety is significant for many in the LGBT community. Additional social stressors can contribute to high-risk behaviors, including alcohol and drug abuse. In some cases, undiagnosed mental health conditions such as depression and anxiety can stem from issues such as trauma, discrimination or sexual health. Finding a safe place to address environmental and psychological issues is paramount to long-term sobriety.
What Is Freedom Rings?
The Freedom Rings LGBT addiction treatment group at Lakeview Health offers a safe space to openly discuss issues such as:
- Shame and secrecy
- Discomfort in one’s own skin
- Social prejudice and discrimination
- Rejection from family, friends and/or work colleagues
This LGBT addiction treatment group addresses underlying issues that can contribute to substance abuse, while tailoring a relapse prevention program to fit the individual needs of the patient.
Our LGBT-Friendly Program Includes
- Staff specifically trained to respond to the unique needs of the LGBT community
- Medical and clinical assessments evaluating underlying issues, environmental issues, mental health issues, sexual health and addiction
- Individual and group therapy using specific modalities for the LGBT community
- Relapse prevention planning
- Educational lectures
- Family and couples counseling addressing addiction issues
- 12-step based LGBT peer meetings
- Recovery coaching and life skills
We believe that Lakeview Health can help you “Find Your True North.” We know that you are life-saving and not life-draining. This invitation is open for you to accept and we welcome you to begin or rekindle a deeper, richer relationship with who you are to restore you to a life of long-term wellness and recovery.
Rose Justice, M.A., facilitates the Freedom Rings group. She has been a member of the Lakeview Health treatment team since 2010. Her experience working with unique populations has allowed her to help move patients from identifying as a victim to embracing their individuality and encouraging greater success in their recovery.
Freedom Rings was recognized in 2010 as Program of Best Practices by the state of Florida.
To learn more about Freedom Rings, contact us at 800-884-1727.