Do We Need Family Therapy?
The family unit is, in many ways, the critical unit of our society. Our families are with us from the beginning, and the members of a family most often support one another. But families are not always resilient enough to defend themselves against everything that comes their way. And addiction is among the most dangerous and debilitating problems a family can face. With intervention and care, however, a family can get through even a crisis like addiction. Addiction therapy programs are some of the most effective ways to do this. If you or a member of your family is struggling with addiction, you may be asking, “Do we need family therapy?” It is an important decision to make. And Lakeview Health is here to help you begin a family therapy program.
Do We Need Family Therapy?: The Symptoms
Let’s be clear about one thing: by asking, “Do we need family therapy?” you have taken an essential first step. And the next step is to decide precisely what kind of help you need, and how to go about getting it. But to really answer the question, “do we need family therapy?” you need to understand the symptoms of dysfunction that accompany addiction. Among the ways that you can tell that your family is in need are:
- Your family members routinely have extreme emotional reactions, especially to issues surrounding the addiction.
- Addiction has brought about a breakdown in communication among family members
- Since the advent of the addiction family members have withdrawn from family life
- There has been violence or the threat of violence between family members as a result of the addiction
- The behavior of the children in the family has been witnessed at home or reported at school
- One or more family members has become depressed or listless or has expressed hopelessness
If your family is experiencing any of these symptoms, it may be time to reach out for professional help. And it is essential to remember that the family members experiencing the above might not be the person battling addiction.
Do We Need Family Therapy?: The Benefits
If you have decided that your family should have family therapy, you should also be aware of the advantages. And there are many advantages. Among them are:
- In family therapy, you will gain a deeper understanding of how addiction has affected your family unit
- Family therapy will mean gaining a deeper appreciation of your family structure, your family dynamics, and patterns of behavior
- In family therapy, you will discuss the importance of healthy boundaries
- Family therapy is all but guaranteed to improve the quality of your communication
- Family therapy will strengthen your family bonds, particularly as regards empathizing with each other in the wake of addiction
And so if you or someone you care about has been struggling with addiction and your family has paid the price, it is worth seeking help. In this sense, the question is less, “Do we need family therapy?” and more, “Can we afford not to have family therapy?”
Reach Out to Lakeview Health Today
If you have been asking yourself, “Do we need family therapy?” it is time to take the first steps. And an excellent place to start is by contacting the team at Lakeview Health. At Lakeview, our family therapy programs are well developed and second-to-none. Our talented, professional staff of “difference-makers” has years of experience helping individuals suffering from a wide range of addictions and their families. It’s time to stop worrying about how to find addiction treatment and family therapy and take action.