Holiday Recipe: Healthy Stuffed Mushrooms
Still in search of the perfect appetizer for your New Year’s get together? You can’t go wrong with these savory stuffed mushrooms! This recipe is easy to assemble, packed with scrumptious flavors, and full of healthy ingredients. Stuffed mushrooms are an excellent way to get vitamins and nutrients into your meal without feeling like you have to stick to only the veggie tray. And it will save some calories so you can enjoy a little more dessert too! Wishing you all a very happy New Year!
Ingredients: (makes 16)
- 16 large mushrooms
- 1 tbsp. olive oil or butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Remove the stems from the mushrooms and chop them finely. Melt the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped mushroom stems, shallots, garlic and zucchini, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chopped spinach, bread crumbs, hazelnuts, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the mushroom caps, hollow side up, in a single layer in a lightly sprayed baking tray. Heap some of the shallot and zucchini mixture into each mushroom cap and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake until the mushrooms are tender and the cheese has melted, about 15 minutes. Serve warm, on a bed of spinach leaves, if desired.