What it Means to be a Mom with Addiction
Addiction is a disease that has reached epidemic proportions. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), almost one million Americans used heroin in 2016 alone; and heroin is nowhere near as apparent as the current opioid epidemic. It is one thing to struggle with addiction issues when you are on your own. But when you are a mom, addition takes on another level of stress. Taking care of children, whatever their ages, can only take a back seat when you are in the throes of a substance use disorder. If you are a mom with addiction, there are several ways that you can identify your negative behaviors. And this is the first step to overcoming them. If you have been wondering what it means to be a mom with addiction, the following guide can help you begin seeking a women’s addiction treatment center for help.
Am I a Mom With Addiction?
What it means to be a mom with an addiction is a topic that we address a lot at Lakeview Health. And the fact that you are on this page indicates that you are concerned, either about yourself or someone you love and our women’s rehab center is here to help.
The first step on the road to recovery for any mom with addiction is being able to identify the symptoms of addiction and understanding the behaviors and physical symptoms of substance use problems is an excellent place to start.
Understanding Drug Addiction: Behaviors
There are multiple signs to look for when asking yourself what it means to be a mom with addiction. The following are some of the behaviors that you should look for in yourself or others:
- She spends a great deal of time getting, using, and recovering from the effects of the substance
- Her consumption has done damage to her relationships with her family and friends
- Her social life and work-life have started to decline because she is more interested in using the substance
- Her use has extended into dangerous situations, like driving under the influence
- She has not been able to fulfill her duties as an employee or as a mom as a result of her substance abuse problem
If you or someone you know is exhibiting any of these behaviors, it is time to reach out.
Understanding Drug Addiction: Physical Symptoms
In addition to the above, there are physical signs to watch out for in a mom with addiction. These include:
- When she has tried to stop using, her body has begun going into withdrawal
- When she has decided to stop using or to limit her use, she has failed
- Her body feels a strong need for the substance when she is not using it
- Her physical need for the substance has meant using it for longer than she periods than she had intended, or to “binging”
- She has found it necessary to continually use more of the substance to get the same effect that she once did
Again, if this sounds like someone you know, you must contact a healthcare professional that provides addiction treatment programs.
Contact Lakeview Health Today
Addiction can be frightening. This is especially true when you are a mom, but at Lakeview Health, we believe that there is hope for every individual struggling. Contact Lakeview Health today by using our online form or by calling 866.704.7692. Do it for them, if not for yourself.