By: Lakeview Health
Xanax use is growing in America. According to WebMD, among other reputable sites, Xanax is the most prescribed psychiatric drug in the United States. And the fact that it is legal does not mean that it can’t be just a lethal as the most deadly of street drugs. Prescription drug addiction has become an epidemic throughout the country. And Xanax addiction is at the forefront of that crisis. Doctors prescribe prescription Xanax and other benzodiazepines to help individuals deal with anxiety. The problems begin to occur when the usefulness of the drug goes beyond just treating the specific condition for which they were prescribed. At this point, and the patient starts their Xanax addiction in earnest.
But the signs of Xanax addiction can be difficult to identify. It is worth taking time to examine the manifestations of Xanax addiction so that you can recognize them.
The Signs of Xanax Addiction
If you are worried that you or someone you care about is suffering from Xanax addiction, out for the following signs can be useful indicators:
- They have continually needed more and more Xanax to get the desired effect.
- They no longer complain of anxiety, but they continue to use Xanax. In other words, condition or pain for which their doctor prescribed the drug has gone away, but they have continued to use the drug.
- They have used prescriptions or medications that are not their own, or have been dishonest in order to get more Xanax.
- They have visited the doctor intending to get more Xanax, rather than specifically because of their anxiety.
- They have stopped participating in social activities and hobbies, or have otherwise isolated themselves.
- They have not pursued any treatments (e.g., lifestyle changes) for their anxiety other than Xanax.
- Their mood or behavior has become erratic, and they have exhibited sudden anger or irritation and mood swings.
- They have had financial problems that have resulted from their use of Xanax.
Xanax addiction can come in many guises. But if you or someone you know has exhibited one or more of the above, it is worth contacting a Xanax addiction treatment center healthcare professional.
Finding Help for Xanax Addiction
Xanax abuse can take hold very quickly. Indeed, it can take just a couple of short months before addiction surfaces. And because Xanax is readily available, the problem can become unmanageable quickly. Once an individual has developed a Xanax addiction, the cycle of abuse is hard to break. And the question is made more complicated by the fact that when used correctly, Xanax can have beneficial effects. It is often the case that those who suffer from Xanax addiction are reluctant to stop because they are fearful of experiencing uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms.
Xanax addiction is challenging to stop without the help of specialized substance abuse treatment programs. To recover from any prescription drug addiction, a patient must remain completely abstinent from all drugs and alcohol. Many who have experienced Xanax addiction have been able to get sober and lead happy and productive lives that are drug-free with the assistance and teachings of a drug rehab program like Lakeview Health.
Reach Out Today
And this is why it is so crucial that if you or someone you care about is suffering from Xanax addiction, you reach out to an experienced medical professional like the ones at Lakeview Health. Contact us online today, or call us at [Direct]. Freedom from prescription drug addiction is just around the corner.