May 10, 2018 12:00 am - 1:00 pm
May 2018 Webinar: Alcohol Use Disorder in Women
Presented By Dr. Ellen Ovson
Thursday, May 10th, 2018 from 12 – 1 PM EDT
1 CEU available*
Overview: There are physiologic and medical complications that differ in women who struggle with alcohol use disorder compared to men. Dr. Ellen Ovson will discuss these differences as well as barriers to treatment for women, the role of trauma, and the benefits of a gender-responsive treatment program.
This presentation will help participants to:
- define the physiologic difference in alcohol consumption between men and women.
- identify the differences in medical complications between men and women.
- identify the different co-morbid psychiatric disorders associated with alcohol consumption in men and women.
- identify the barriers to treatment for women.
- recognize the role of trauma in alcohol use disorder in women.
- recognize the benefit of gender-responsive treatment in women.
About Dr. Ovson
Dr. Ellen Ovson is a full-time member of the multidisciplinary team and brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to helping men and women recover from addiction. As Medical Director, she leads the medical team and serves as an authority on all medical issues.
Dr. Ovson is Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Addiction Medicine. She has more than 17 years of experience in addiction medicine and more than 41 years in internal medicine.
Ovson earned her undergraduate degree at Emory University and graduated from medical school at the University of Alabama. She did her internship at Charlotte Memorial Hospital in North Carolina and her residency at Carraway Methodist Medical Center in Birmingham, AL. Ovson is a member of numerous professional organizations including the American Board of Internal Medicine, the American Board of Addiction Medicine and the American Society of Addiction Medicine, where she has held several leadership positions. She is a published author whose works focus on various aspects of addiction. Dr. Ovson is frequently invited to speak on the topic by numerous organizations and medical centers throughout the country.