Evidence Based Therapy Program
In an evidence-based therapy program, we use treatment approaches and addiction therapies that have a history of helping people struggling with addiction overcome their dependency. You may ask, “But shouldn’t every therapy program at an addiction recovery center be an evidence-based therapy program?” The answer is, simply put, “yes.” But there is often confusion surrounding what constitutes an evidence-based therapy program. Some addiction treatment programs, for instance, claim that evidence-based therapy programs work best alongside other more holistic addiction therapies. Others consider these holistic approaches like yoga and nutritional counseling examples of an evidence-based therapy program. If you are looking for addiction treatment, it is useful to understand what an evidence-based therapy program is. And Lakeview Health’s evidence-based therapy program in Jacksonville, FL, is a great place to start.
What is an Evidence-Based Therapy Program?
The simplest definition of an evidence-based therapy program is that it is an approach that historically has had observably positive effects. When previous users of a program have had successful outcomes, we refer to that program’s success as “evidence-based.” One often-cited example — among many — is 12-step programs. 12-step programs do not operate on a clinical basis, running trials performed in a lab. But there is strong statistical evidence that 12-step programs work. An evidence-based therapy program should:
- Be widely accepted in the recovery community as having positive outcomes
- Address particular aspects of drug and alcohol addiction and its consequences for the individual, their family, and their society
- Where necessary, supplement or enhance treatment programs
By exploring some examples of evidence-based therapy programs, you can better understand your options as regards your own treatment for addiction. And if you are seeking addiction help for a loved one, it is especially important that you know the range of available programs.
Examples of Evidence-Based Therapy Programs
As articles in more than one peer-edited medical journal have pointed out, we tend to confuse the terms “evidence-based” and “research-based.” At Lakeview Health, we are dedicated to the idea if a program is going to work, it must be evidence-based. And that idea is the foundational principle of our evidence-based therapy program in Jacksonville, FL. Some example of the kinds of evidence-based approaches we use include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy. CBT is a kind of talk therapy that involves identifying harmful or unhealthy approaches to situations and modifying those behaviors.
- Exposure therapy. We make a point of avoiding the objects of our fears and phobias. Exposure therapy allows patients to confront their fears in a safe, supportive environment, with the goal of neutralizing them. Exposure therapy can be a particularly useful tool in battling the anxieties that often fuel addiction.
- Family therapy. Addiction too often results in broken or strained family ties. By involving the family unit in a patient’s recovery and rehabilitation, we can help make that unit stronger than ever. A strong family unit also makes relapse significantly less likely.
- Dialectical behavior therapy. DBT helps patients deal with negative or painful emotions in a healthy way. It also aims to decrease conflict in the lives of patients. Both of these are critical when it comes to addiction treatment.
These are only a few examples of approaches that we utilize in our evidence-based therapy program in Jacksonville, FL.
Reach Out to Lakeview Health Today
If you or someone you care about is battling addiction, it is time to seek professional help. And our evidence-based therapy program in Jacksonville, FL, is designed with patients like you in mind.
At Lakeview, we offer multiple levels of care, including medically supervised detoxification, a residential addiction treatment plan, outpatient care, and a comprehensive aftercare program. We also offer numerous levels and varieties of counseling and a reintegration program aimed at helping individuals who are moving on from addiction successfully.
Take the first step by reaching out to Lakeview Health. Contact us using our secure online form today, or call us at 866.704.7692. Moving on from addiction is never easy. But with support, you can take your life back.