Overcoming Holiday Blues with Faith
As the holidays approach, many people who are in treatment struggle with homesickness. People who are in recovery struggle with how to maintain sobriety and people who are thinking about treatment find every reason not to come. No matter whether you are in treatment, thinking about treatment or living in sobriety, the holidays can be a tough time. So here are five tips to help deal with the holidays while in recovery.
1. Keep God first in everything that you do.
“So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” 1 Corinthians 10:31.
2. Surround yourself with a strong support group. There are AA/NA/Celebrate Recovery meetings going on around the clock.
“Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble.” Ecclesiastes 4:9-10.
3. Be grateful. Be it your first holiday sober or your 20th holiday sober, God has given you the opportunity to serve him.
“Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.” Colossians 3:16.
4. Be mindful of warning signs and triggers. This can be people, places or things that bring up memories of drug use.
“The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.” 1 Corinthians 10:13.
5. Be honest with yourself and your family. If you are bombarded with thoughts of using, telling on your disease will help those around you better assist you.
“May integrity and honesty protect me, for I put my hope in you.” Psalm 25:21.
Managing the holiday season begins with surrender, while creating a game plan for the holidays that lets you engage in celebration safely. At the same time, you need to prioritize and maintain a sober lifestyle. Recovery is a lifelong journey and although it will not always be easy, God will guide you every step of the way.
Let Lakeview Health guide you through the first part of this life-changing experience. Call our intake coordinators at 866.704.7692 and let us explain how our Christian track for chemical dependency will start your journey of addiction recovery successfully.