Lakeview Health Opens More Beds in Second Building Expansion This Year to Meet Increasing Addiction Treatment Demand
JACKSONVILLE, FL. (October 5, 2015) – Lakeview Health, a Jacksonville-based drug and alcohol addiction treatment center, has announced the opening of 16 new beds in treating addiction and mental health disorders. Six detox beds will be added to complement the current 30 and 10 additional residential beds will enable Lakeview Health to better meet the steep demand of patients needing care.
“The opioid crisis has dramatically changed the number of people needing immediate treatment,” explained Dr. Kevin Holbert, Lakeview Health Chief of Staff. “With this important increase in detox and residential capacity, we can save more lives at a highly critical time in the recovery process.”
Opioid Crisis Statistics (National Center for Health Statistics)
- Opioid overdose deaths have nearly quadrupled from 1999 to 2013
- Highest growth was from abuse of painkillers
- Death rate from heroin overdoses has risen 172% from 2010 to 2013
Another building expansion is expected to be completed in May of 2016 that will include 54 new beds for a new gender-responsive woman’s facility to meet rising addiction treatment needs. An early release of estimates based on data from the 2014 National Health Interview Study shows a steep increase in women over 18 whom have had at least one heavy drinking day in the past year.
Alcohol Use Statistics (National Center for Health Statistics)
- While the numbers for men have been relatively flat, the percentage of women who had at least one heavy drinking day in the past year increased from 15.5% to 18.9% in 2014 from 2013.
- The number of alcoholic liver disease deaths in 2013: 18,146
- The number of alcohol-induced deaths, excluding accidents and homicides in 2013: 29,001
About Lakeview Health
Lakeview Health in Jacksonville is a leading provider of drug and alcohol rehabilitation services in Northeast Florida and a nationally recognized addiction treatment, serving clients from across the country. Since its founding in 2001, the center has helped countless individuals and families begin their journey of recovery. Lakeview’s caring and committed staff is dedicated to helping clients and their families find their “True North.”