Lakeview Health adopts a mind/body/spirit approach to recovery. The inclusion of Expressive Therapy (ET) is another supportive feature that contributes to this treatment philosophy. ET improves the physical, cognitive, social, emotional and spiritual functioning of Lakeview patients encouraging them to more fully engage in life.
While at Lakeview, patients learn a variety of healthy coping skills that support long-term recovery. ET allows patients to practice these new skills in a safe and supportive environment. It gives them the opportunity to re-connect with leisure and healthy fun without the need for intoxicants.
Patients who participate in active recreational programming:
- Learn how to have fun in sobriety.
- Identify how to choose non-intoxicant alternatives for achieving their goals.
- Improve the use of their free time and leisure planning.
- Increase their self-esteem and self-actualization.
- Learn how to cope with stress without the use of chemicals.
- Learn strategies to deal with anger and anxiety and depression.
- Identify how to adopt healthy skills for socializing drug and alcohol free.
Most people take their first drink or drug as part of a leisure activity. As patients learn what leisure in recovery can look like, they gain confidence, a sense of pride and increased self-esteem for trying new activities for the first time in many years.
Some of the recreational activities we offer include arts and crafts, sports, team building games, dance and movement, drama, music, and community outings and volunteerism.