Detox: Who, Why, and How
Detoxification from active substance use is typically the first step in addiction treatment and recovery. There are proven treatments that help keep people safe and as comfortable as possible as the body works to remove the substance(s) of choice. During this presentation, Kacie Sasser, ARNP, MSN, FNP-C, CARN, Senior Director of Medical Services will define addiction according to the American Society of Addiction (ASAM) and Substance Use Disorder (SUD) according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). She’ll also briefly discuss screening tools for SUD. The presentation will focus on three common substances – alcohol, sedative-hypnotics, and opioids. Throughout the presentation, Kacie will provide insight to help providers recognize intoxication and overdose as well as explore the symptoms of withdrawal and pharmacologic management of these substances.
Participants will walk away able to:
- Define addiction.
- Define substance use disorder.
- Recognize screening tools for SUD.
- Recognize intoxication (and overdose) from alcohol, sedative-hypnotics, and opioids.
- Management and detoxification of alcohol, sedative-hypnotic, and opioid withdrawal.
- Understand detox treatment options available at Lakeview Health.