By: Lakeview Health
Do people who are in active addiction be it to drugs or alcohol really know the danger they are putting themselves at? Do you think they comprehend about the serious risk they put others at? The answer to both of these questions is likely no. Here are some facts to help comprehend the dangers of addiction to the suffering and to the people that they come into contact with.
6 Scary Facts About Drug and Alcohol Addiction
- Alcohol plays a role in more than 50% of all car accidents that have a fatality involved.
- Drug addiction and alcohol abuse plays a substantial role in the number of premature deaths.
- Roughly 50% of all murders and rapes in the United States have alcohol or drugs involved.
- Between 85%-90% of all burglaries and theft are committed by individuals who are taking action to support their addiction.
- In the United States alone an estimated 20 million people 12 years of age or older use drugs.
- The number of people that die every year as a result of drug and alcohol addiction is at a staggering 20,000 people.
These facts prove that alcohol and drug abuse not only affects the suffering addict but also the people that surround them. Unfortunately addiction has grave affects on people that don’t even know the addict. A prime example of this is a car accident that occurred on the Taconic Parkway last year that gained national attention. The accident was caused by a Long Island mother who was driving down the wrong side of the heavily trafficked road. The end result was a horrific car crash that killed eight people including 4 children. Alcohol and drug addiction play a role in untimely deaths on a daily basis. The hard fact is that addiction kills people and not just the ones that are abusing the drugs and alcohol.