Adult Addiction Statistics in the United States [Infographic]
Addiction statistics highlight the reality of the addiction epidemic in the United States. While they’re troubling, they can also encourage individuals to seek help or become proactive when helping others get the necessary treatment for recovery.
Drug Addictions Begin Every Day in the USA
While the addiction epidemic is undeniable, realizing the daily toll can be staggering. In the United States, there are 7,800 new drug users each and every day. While some of these drug users may not become addicted, many do. These addictions can lead to long-term health, financial and psychological setbacks.
Young Adults Are the Most Likely to Struggle With Drug Use and Addiction
Drugs, alcohol and other addictive substances cause problems for all age groups. In fact, a growing area of concern is Baby Boomers, many of whom are struggling with prescription drug addiction. The demographic most prone to addiction, however, is young adults.
In the United States, 22.6% of young people between the ages of 18–20 have used drugs in the last 30 days.
Addiction’s Staggering Financial Repercussions
On an individual scale, the financial repercussions of addiction are clear. Not only do addictive substances cost a significant amount, but addiction can reduce the likelihood of successful employment income.
On a nation-wide scale, however, the impact is astronomical. The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence states that the annual cost of addiction in the United States is a whopping $600 billion.
Heroin Addiction is Skyrocketing in America
In 2003, just one individual out of every 100,000 Americans was addicted to heroin. Today, the numbers have doubled. Keep in mind that this is just one of many addictions. However, heroin is one of the fastest growing addictions in the country along with other opioids like prescription painkillers.
There are 23 Million Addicts in the United States
In the United States today, over 23 million people struggle with addiction. This includes those struggling with drug addiction as well as alcohol addiction.
Making matters worse is the fact that just 10% of these 23 million will get the appropriate addiction treatment. The remaining 90% will fall into the dreaded treatment gap, not getting the help they need for health and sobriety.
Addiction statistics like these offer a way to see the true impact of drugs and alcohol on adults in the United States. Thankfully, treatment is available. Call 866-704-7692 to find out more about Lakeview Health in Jacksonville, Florida, and how addiction treatment can help men and women achieve the life they deserve.