The 12 Step Program and Addiction Recovery
Looking for addiction treatment can leave you with many questions. For example, you may wonder, something such as, “What is a 12 step program? How does a 12 step program work? What is the connection between the 12 step program and addiction recovery?” At Lakeview Health, we understand why you might be confused, and we want to help. Call Lakeview Health today to get the answers you need, then enroll in one of our addiction treatment programs.
What is a 12 Step Program?
The 12 step program is the basis of the popular group Alcoholics Anonymous. On the whole, a 12 step program outlines your steps for addiction recovery. As you’ve probably guessed, the program suggests that there are 12 steps to addiction recovery. They are as follows:
- Admitting that you’re powerless over alcohol, and your life has become unmanageable.
- Coming to the belief that a higher power can restore you to sanity.
- Deciding to turn your life and free will over to that higher power.
- Making a fearless and penetrative moral inventory of yourself.
- Admitting to the higher power, to yourself, and to another person the specific nature of your failings.
- Being entirely committed to letting the higher power in your life remove your character defects.
- Humbly asking the higher power to remove all of your shortcomings.
- Making a list of the people you have harmed and become willing to make amends to those people.
- Making amends to the people you’ve hurt as much as possible unless it would harm the person in question.
- Consistently taking a moral inventory, and admitting your failings as soon as possible when you’re wrong.
- Seeking the higher power through prayer and meditation, and asking for its will for you and the ability to carry it out.
- Carrying the message of the 12 steps to other people who are suffering from addiction and practicing the principles of the 12 steps in your life.
How Are the 12 Step Program and Addiction Recovery Related?
As you can see the steps and addiction recovery are integrally related. The 12 Steps are an essential part of your recovery program, and you can gain addiction recovery through the 12 step program.
A support group like a 12 step program is an essential part of your sobriety. In a support group, you can make friends that could last a lifetime, and encourage you through the highs and lows of your sobriety. Moreover, you can learn from the experiences of others, and grow from them.
Learn More About The 12 Step Program and Addiction Recovery at Lakeview
If you’d like to learn more about the benefits of a 12 step program and addiction recovery, we can help. Call Lakeview Health and ask one of our specialists your questions. If you’re ready to enroll in one of our treatment programs, we’d be happy to hear from you. We treat: