Resources On Alcohol Addiction
In today’s society, it isn’t unusual to consume alcohol for pleasure or relaxation. Often, people enjoy a glass of wine with a meal or a beer while in the company of friends. While this type of “normal” use of alcohol does not present a problem for most, it can potentially become excessive for others and result in what is known as alcohol addiction alcohol abuse. Alcohol addiction is defined as a pattern of drinking that can affect social and emotional responsibilities and even result in legal problems. When a person abuses alcohol, his or her drinking habits can harm his or her health or cause injury to the addict or others. Eventually, if left unchecked, alcohol addiction can transition into alcoholism, which is also known as alcohol dependence. Alcoholism is a disease in which a person develops a physical dependency or addiction to alcohol.
- Alcoholism: Complication Complications of alcohol addiction and alcoholism are described in detail on the Mayo Clinic website.
- Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse Facts A list of facts about alcohol addiction and alcoholism on Medicine.net. The list includes signs of alcohol addiction and statistics, such as the number of people under the age of 21 that die in alcohol-related accidents yearly and the percentage of women that are affected by alcohol abuse.
- Alcohol and the Brain An in-depth review of how alcohol addiction affects the brain. This page also reviews Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.
- Alcohol Use Disorders A page on the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism website. The page focus on both alcoholism and alcohol abuse. It explains that alcohol addiction can be as serious a disorder as alcoholism even though abusers are not dependent on alcohol.
- Drugs of Abuse: Alcohol An article from the National Institute on Drug Abuse that explains alcohol as a drug of addiction. This article also explains that alcohol abuse can lead to alcoholism.
- Alcohol Abuse and Dependence A web page that reviews valuable information about alcohol abuse and alcohol dependence. Information includes the differences between abuse and dependence, warning signs, indicators in the workplace, security concerns in the workplace and treatment.
- Effects of Parental Substance Abuse on Children and Families An article from the Child Welfare Information Gateway that explains how alcohol and other substance abuse negatively affects children and families as a whole.
- The Effects of Alcohol Abuse A KidsHealth article that explains the short- and long-term effects of alcohol abuse. The effects discussed are both physical and mental.
- Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse A page on the HelpGuide.org website that reviews alcohol abuse. This page discusses how to understand alcohol abuse, signs, and symptoms of alcohol abuse and the effects of alcohol abuse on friends and family.