By: Lauren Stobbie
I don’t know about you, but sweet potato casserole is the one dish I look forward to indulging in around the holidays. There is just something so satisfying about the sweetness of the potatoes combined with the crunch of pecans and the gooeyness of the melting marshmallows on top. But this casserole is not the healthiest to grace your dining room table as it’s usually loaded with gobs of butter and sugar. However, this version of sweet potato casserole is naturally sweetened with the added flavors of pumpkin and orange juice and contains no butter or cream at all. You can also omit the marshmallows if you’d like, but is it really sweet potato casserole without the marshmallows?! This is one dish you should definitely add to your holiday menu!
- 1 ½ lb. Sweet Potatoes, baked and skinned
- 2 cups 100% pure pumpkins
- 6 fl. Oz. Reduced-sugar orange juice
- 1 Whole egg
- 2 Egg whites
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Truvia brown sugar blend (or regular brown sugar)
- 2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. Ginger, ground
- 1/4 tsp. Cloves, ground
- Optional Topping: marshmallows and pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bake sweet potatoes in the oven for one hour, or simply wrap them in damp paper towels and microwave two at a time for about 10 minutes.
- Remove skin from baked sweet potatoes and add to a large mixing bowl along with pumpkin, orange juice, egg, egg whites, vanilla, brown sugar, and spices.
- Mash with a potato masher or fork until smooth.
- Spoon mixture into a casserole pan, and bake for 30 minutes until heated through.
- Top with marshmallows and pecans and return to bake an additional 5 minutes until marshmallows are golden brown. Serve hot.